School trip to northern Spain: Would you like a personalized quotation?
Are you planning a school trip to Spain with your students? Ask for more information completing this form:
La Rioja region in north of Spain is strategically well-positioned as a base of a school tour for visiting the cities of San Sebastian, Bilbao, Vitoria, Logroño or Burgos as well as beautiful countryside and fascinating sights.
La Rioja is known worldwide for its wines, but also offers the chance to explore its fascinating architectural and cultural heritage, lovely scenery and renowned gastronomy. Also, in the last few years its landscapes have been further enhanced by avant-garde architecture.
We propose to our groups of Spanish language students using Haro as a base for discovering this region and its surrounding areas. Haro is the winemaking capital of Rioja Alta and has the largest number of old wineries in Europe. It also has a theatre, cinemas, museums and a music conservatory. With around 12,000 inhabitants, it boasts a dynamic cultural life.
Example of a school trip to northern Spain:
D.1. Morning arrival. Tour of San Sebastian and its historic quarter. We then take a stroll along the Bay of La Concha as far as Eduardo Chillida’s spectacular sculpture, El Peine del Viento (Wind Comb). After lunch we head for Haro at the heart of Rioja Alta.
D.2. Today we visit the historic centre of Haro, the Palace of Bendaña, the church of St. Thomas and the Plaza de la Paz and we follow a guided tour of some of the most characteristic villages of Rioja Alta: Briones, San Vicente de la Sonsierra, Ábalos…After a picnic lunch, in the afternoon, we visit a venerable winery and end the day with pinchos y mosto route (tapas tasting and grape juice) in the bars of the Herradura neighbourhood.
D.3. A day devoted to The Evolution of Humanity; a fascinating one-day trip starting in Atapuerca with a guided tour of the three sites and the interpretation centre. After lunch at a local restaurant, we continue with a guided tour of the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos followed by a walk around its historic centre and the Cathedral.
D.4. A day of contrasts between the medieval and contemporary eras: first we visit San Millán de la Cogolla and the Monasteries of Suso and Yuso (UNESCO World Heritage). After a picnic lunch in Santo Domingo de la Calzada we continue with a tour of the region’s contemporary architecture: the Hotel Marqués de Riscal by architect Frank Gehry in Elciego and Bodegas Ysios by architect Santiago Calatrava in Laguardia. In the evening, a typical Riojan dinner in a rural restaurant on the outskirts of Haro.
D.5. A trip to Bilbao to visit the Guggenheim Museum. Farewell and departure. See you soon!
Other recommended activities:
- Sports among the vineyards: choose a sporting activity while enjoying the beautiful scenery of the vineyards: horseback riding, hot-air ballooning, hiking or cycling.
- Visit to the amazing Dinastía Vivanco Museum of Wine Culture in Briones.
- Logroño, the capital of La Rioja, is well worth a half-day guided tour.
- Educational field tour on sustainable development based on organic vegetable growing.
Some of our favourites…
- Painting workshop in the vineyards: students will learn watercolour techniques and, with the help of a local artist, we’ll set up in a panoramic spot surrounded by vineyards to do some landscape painting.
- Vitoria, declared the European Green Capital in 2012, has a fascinating medieval quarter and some interesting museums, notably the Artium and Montehermoso-Kulturanea.
A few tips:
- This school trip to Spain starts from Haro, in La Rioja, which is 96 km from Bilbao, 90 km from Burgos, 50 km from Vitoria and 48 km from Logroño. Bilbao is the nearest airport with international flights. The school group visiting Spain can also fly in to Madrid’s Adolfo Suárez Barajas airport and we can organize a private bus transfer. Another option is the ferry service from UK to Bilbao.
- Accommodation for our groups of students in La Rioja is with host families in Haro, which is the best option for the optimum integration into local life and customs. We can also source accommodation in youth hostels and local hotels.
- Our educational field trips in Haro (La Rioja) can be combined with customized Spanish classes in the mornings.
Are you interested on this school tour to Spain? Has it inspired you but you would like to do some changes to the tour? Ask for more information completing this form: